A Lusail stadium security guard has died after falling from the World Cup venue in Qatar following Argentina’s quarter-final win over the Netherlands.
Kenyan John Njau Kibue was initially in stable but critical condition, but died after three days in hospital.
Qatari organizers say they are “urgently investigating the circumstances that led to the fall”.
The 24 year old sister told CNN they received no explanation.
“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a photo to show where he fell from or gave us any other information,” Ann Wanjiru said.
Kibue’s family told CNN he moved to Qatar in November to work on a contract with a local security company.
Kibue is the second migrant worker to have died since the start of the World Cup on November 20. A Filipino national died while carrying out repairs at a compound used as a training base by the Saudi team, Athletic reported.
While the tournament’s supreme committee stressed that the death occurred on property outside its jurisdiction, it said it offered “sincere condolences” to Kibue’s family, colleagues and friends.
A report by The Guardian newspaper last year said 6,500 migrant workers had died in Qatar since the country won the World Cup in 2010.
This has been denied by Qatari authorities, who say there were three construction work-related deaths directly linked to the tournament, and 37 other non-work-related deaths. They say that figure jumps to between 400 and 500 when all the infrastructure projects needed to support the tournament are taken into account.